Fighting For Grandparents And Third-Party Rights

Losing important time with your grandchild or minor loved one is a distressing idea. You have become an influential figure in their life but separation, divorce or a death in the family may pull them away from you. Your life would not be the same without them. At Martinez Family Law, I will help you file a petition for custody or visitation of your grandchild or minor child.

When Can You Pursue Third-Party Rights To Visitation Or Custody?

It is possible to establish third-party rights in any of the following situations:

  • The legal parents are getting divorced
  • The legal parents are not married
  • One of the legal parents is deceased

Time between grandparents and grandchildren may become restricted when the child's parents divorce. Domestic partners may wish to establish third-party rights of a child after separation. Whatever your situation, Martinez Family Law is prepared to fight for your rights. As an assertive family law lawyer, I will help you gather the required evidence and represent you in the court.

Establishing visitation rights will require an argument in court, backed by evidence. First, you must prove that visitation is within the best interests of the child. You must show that establishing visitation will positively impact the child's quality of life and relationships with family members.

Custody proceedings will be more strict and require that you prove to the court that you have a relationship in loco parentis to the child. This means that you are caring for the child as a legal parent would. Third-party child custody can be established if the child faces harm while being in the care of a legal parent. Essentially you must prove that it is within the best interests of the child to no longer remain in their legal parent's care.

Arrange A Consultation With An Experienced Family Law Attorney

I offer over 17 years of legal experience to assist you in establishing third-party rights. Contact my Phoenix, Arizona, office today to schedule a free initial consultation by calling 602-730-7455, or the toll free line at 800-483-8164. You may also fill out an online contact form for assistance.